Monday, January 16, 2012

Behind Scenes Of Building Punch Storage Units

When I first started Sharon's Scrappy Space website, my main reason was to share scrapbook storage solutions and ideas with others. Although I have become a Stampin Up Demonstrator and love doing tutorials and sharing projects using Stampin Up products and I still have a passion for scrapbook storage and organization.

Many of you have emailed me or posted comments on my website and YouTube channel about my storage ideas and tips. Those comments and emails inspired me to take the plunge design and start making scrapbook storage units, which has been a dream of mine for a while now. I chose to start with punch storage units because there are very few options for punch storage especially for the newer style of punches that Stampin Up and other leading companies sell.

It is amazing what all is involved in producing these units. When I first got the idea, I never dreamed of what all was involved. But when I get an email from someone who just their unit and they love it, it makes my day like nothing else! It makes all the time, money and energy worth it and inspires me to keep going.

As you know from my last article, my husband Francis and I went to Hot Springs, Arkansas and met up with my brother Donald to build the first "Ultra Scrappy Storage Unit". My brother Donald and I worked closely together to build each new unit. There is a lots and lots of measuring and remeasuring and many discussions (sometimes slightly heated LOL) on how best to build them. It boggles our brains, with all the measurements and figuring out how best to make them.

Here are a couple photos of us working on the new "Ultra Scrappy Storage Unit". (You will have to excuse my lack of makeup and hair styling LOL! We are both covered with saw dust and do not look our best but that is the reality of being in the shop).



If you are wondering why we go to Hot Springs, Arkansas to build the units, it is because my mother has graciously allowed us use her garage to set up our wood working shop, and use her front living room as our shipping office. While my brother and I both don't live in Hot Springs, it has given me the opportunity to set up a shop to get started. The best part is that it gives us opportunity spend time together as a family. Do I have a wonderful family or what? They have been so awesome to help me see my dreams realized.

The first "Ultra Scrappy Storage Unit" has been built and I have it here and will soon be posting photos of many ways to store scrapbook and stamping supplies. I am so excited I can't hardly stand it! Personally I think this unit is the best yet! This is the unit that I have been waiting for to use myself!

When we got home last night with the new "Ultra Unit", I couldn't wait to try it out! I was up past midnight rearranging all my supplies on it and I have to say I LOVE IT! What I love so much about this unit is that it holds the majority of supplies that I use most and need to have easy access to.

Photos will be coming soon! In a few days I will have the first 5 units available for sale. I am so excited I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Please feel free to ask questions and leave comments. I would love to know of any storage challenges you have and what you would like to see in future designs of storage units.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, I cannot wait to see pictures of your new unit! I do not have much space for scrapping and stamping as I use my guest bedroom and all my closets are full of supplies! I have a corner desk in there and stuff everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to buy the universal punch storage unit and then I read this... I think I better wait and see what it is!! I'm excited, and will be checking the blog often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW Sharon. That Ultra Scrappy unit is fabulous. I was saving up for a paper storage unit but I may just have to buy this unit. Decisions, decisions...Debbie(MO)

    ReplyDelete